Landsburg Nursery has a Gardener’s Calendar with lots of gardening tips for each month.
General Spring Season Tips
- Begin feeding bulbs with liquid fertilizer as they emerge from the ground.
- Remove dead leaves from Hostas.
- Prune summer flowering shrubs in early spring before new growth, since they usually bloom from new wood.
- Finish dormant pruning of ornamental trees.
- Remove black-knot swellings on plum, chokecherry, and cherry trees.
- Remove Tree wrap from trees.
- As weather allows, remove winter mulch from roses, perennials and bulbs.
- Divide and replant overgrown perennials.
- Prune hedges and summer flowering shrubs, i.e., Annabella Hydrangea, Currant and Potentilla. Check for winter snow damage and prune out broken branches.
- Till flower and vegetable garden soil and add composted cow manure, peat moss or composted leaves.
- Fertilize spring bulbs when foliage emerges.
- Plant frost-tolerant pansies and Johnny-jump-ups for early spring color.
- Apply fresh mulch around trees and shrubs for weed control.
- Fertilize trees and shrubs with osmocote. We recommend slow release fertilizer.
- Wait until the ground is frost free before removing mulch. If temperatures rise early in the season remove part of the mulch, but leave 2-3 inches.
- Till or spade the soil deeply; if desired add a slow-release flower garden fertilizer.
- Cut back ornamental grasses.
- Remove rose cones.
For more gardening tips, please visit: Landsburg Tips